It can be hard to focus in college. So many people and activities and food. It’s important to find a place to really be able to focus, whether it be in the library or dorm. After my first semester in college, I know I prefer studying in coffee shops or cafés. Some people may not have found their favorite place personally, but even during my winter session I get the best work done when I leave my house and venture to a new setting. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but it is definitely my cup of coffee.
Why Coffee Houses?
- But First, Coffee: Coffee is both a cultural phenomenon and basically an essential item to function. Cafés/coffee houses have an endless supply of it (shocker, right?!), as well as varieties of tea, delicious pastries, or even the occasional healthy foods. Although Starbucks is great, more unique places tend to have different and better things to offer.
- The People: Small coffee houses are usually stocked with original characters and quality service. Both the customers and employees are usually conversational and pleasant to interact with!
- Noisy, but not annoying: Working in complete silence is just a call for distractions for me as little things tick or tock. Too much noise is a distraction in it of itself. I find the low buzz of conversations and steamers the perfect complements for a study session.
- Energy: Not to get too hippie-hippie here, but my past three reasons all add to the feelings of a coffee house or café. I find them so cozy, comfortable, and straight-up motivating. Most other people there are also studying, and everyone is hyped up on coffee and cream.
- Even science supports the coffee-shop-studying-movement!
- Who does’t want to feel like the cast of Friends?
Make the Best of it:
- Know Your Budget: Know going in that you are going to only buy one cup and a muffin so that you do not keep ordering coffee as you spend more time there and accidentally drop $20 on coffee in one day.
- Try New Things: Those giant menus are created for a reason. Don’t order the same thing every time you go and it will help bring more excitement to what you are studying!
- Get to Know the Staff: I have yet to master this, but having the people know your name and/or order could really make your stressful study days a little bit better.
- Don’t go every single day because the day you skip will be filled with a caffein withdrawal headache.
- For anyone in Newark, Delaware: Brew HaHa and Brewed Awakenings are the best things to ever happen on Main Street.
You’ve got nothing to loose, except maybe some money.
Please join me in my coffee house obsession and check out your local places, especially if you are a student or if only just to support a small business at the end of the day!
Your Caffeine Enabler,