I recently wore my hair straight for two days, and as fun as it was to be almost unrecognizable, returning to my curls felt great. I’m known with the girl with curly hair,and I love that. While my routine can be kind of high maintenance, I know it is a lot simpler than putting 300+ degrees to my hair every day just for it to get frizzy with one drop of moisture. It’s taken me several years, but i’m happy with my hair most days and I thought I would share my routine with you all, just in case anyone is struggling with taming their mane.
- I only use shampoo about once or twice a week. I still shower every single night,
but I usually go right for the conditioner. A stylist told me this tip years ago and I think it helps with frizz!
- Coconut oil is my only nighttime product. I put in and flip my hair around to let it dry a bit before I braid it back–which I do overnight or else I would have to shave my head from the ensuing rats nets.
- Each morning, I stick my head under the sink and wet my hair. I also have a spray bottle full of water that I used to the hard to reach spots so that all of my hair is wet. You could shower instead, but I am just someone who has to shower before bed!
- Moroccan Oil Curl Defining Cream and John Frieda Curl Reviver Styling Mousse are next, in that order. After years of trial and error, I have found these are great for preventing frizz and helping my hair not get weighed down by itself. I always flip my hair around a bit and scrunch it a couple times with my hands afterwards to help the product evenly cover my hair.
- I let my hair dry a bit before styling, typically in a Snookie-style half-up look, that is a perfect time to do my makeup.
Everything in Between
- Half-up hairdos are my go-to, but i’ll wear it all down if I know I won’t be out in the wind a lot.
- Headbands and Beanies are iffy, but can occasionally work
- Ribbon hair ties and small clips are my best friends.
Everyone’s hair is different, but all of the products I use have
something to offer. Embrace your curls in any ways that you find suits you!
That girls with curly hair,